So I’ve been wanting an antique sideboard to re-finish and put in my entryway. My entryway is quite large because we have an open floor plan, and I needed a bigger-than-normal table to fill up the long, empty wall beside the front door. I tried a regular-sized entryway table, but it just looked teeny against said wall (it’s my sofa table now). I’ve always loved antique sideboards, and since they are usually pretty sizable, I figured it would be a perfect fit for my huge entryway wall.
(Please note that in the title, I’ve referred to this as a “sideboard” “buffet” and “hutch” because the terms are used interchangeably for this piece of furniture. My family has always referred to these as “sideboards”, so that’s what I’m calling it here.)
I found this piece at a flea market a few weeks back. All the woodwork was intact and nothing was broken, and that’s always a big plus for me. It was pretty scratched and dinged up, but that’s to be expected on a piece as old as this and I was going to paint it anyway so it didn’t really matter. There was no large gouges or other heavy damage. But the most important thing? It was priced right! 🙂
Here’s how it looked when I got it:
Now, I’m not saying the original finish looked bad at all. A little Old English would have probably done wonders for it. But I wanted to paint it, so that’s what I did. 🙂
Sideboard Buffet Hutch Chalk Paint Makeover
First thing I did was sand the laminate top. I wanted to try re-staining it with only antiquing wax, just because I’ve never seen it done before and I wanted to see if it would work. I used an electric sander and did it in the house instead of our shop because it was 105 degrees outside when I started this project. I don’t know if that was the brightest idea, because although I kept cool, there was an inch of dust on everything within 20 feet of where I was sanding! I knew it would be bad, but wow- I don’t know if it was worth staying cool for after that! 😛 Anyways, here is how it looked after sanding:
I wiped everything down with a wet cloth and took all the hardware off in prep for painting. With any furniture refinishing project, I always put all the hardware in a jar with a lid so nothing disappears while I’m working on it. You’d be surprised on how tiny stuff just wanders off when you have cats! 😉
Now I was ready to paint! For this project I decided to use Valspar Chalky Finish Paint in Kid Gloves, Antiquing Wax, and Sealing Wax. I’ve heard great things about this paint, so I thought I’d give it a spin, and I’m glad I did- I really like it! It goes on smooth, covers well, and dries to a beautiful finish. It’s easy to distress afterwards, and both the Antiquing and Sealing Wax goes on easily and smoothly and dries to a lovely sheen finish. I’ll definitely be using these paints and waxes for future projects! (If you’re wondering, this isn’t a sponsored post, but if Valspar wants to send me a few bucks for it anyway, I won’t say no.) 😉
The painting went smoothly until I got to the doors. There was some kind of funky varnish on the laminate that was only on the doors that crackled and flaked off like crazy after I painted it! If it was just a little crackling, I wouldn’t have minded, but there was nothing little about it:
The pic on the left shows how bad it crackled; the pic on the right was after I scraped all the paint off the middle sections of the doors. Once I repainted it, everything was fine and you couldn’t even tell there was any issue. This is the first time this has ever happened to me, and it was weird! In the future, if I refinish a project that has a questionable finish, I’m going to either sand it or test it with a bit of paint before I proceed.
Next up was distressing. I used 150 grit sanding paper as I like a light touch when distressing.
Time for antiquing! I think this is my favorite part of working with chalk paint. I love how this gives it the finishing touch and really gives the project character. I used the waxing brush to apply the wax, then wiped it off with a cotton cloth. Like I mentioned before, the Antiquing Wax was very easy to use and very forgiving- if I got too much on in one place, I simply wiped off the excess with a wet cotton cloth.
Once that was finished, I refinished the top with the Antiquing Wax. What you see below is three coats of Antiquing Wax and two coats of Sealing Wax. It came out gorgeous- better than I expected! In the picture below, you can really see the shine with the sunlight hitting it from the front door windows. I’m really glad I tried it this way, and if I ever decide to re-stain anything again, I’m definitely using this technique!
Once I was finished with this, I did two coats of Sealing Wax over all the painted parts. I probably could have gotten away with one coat, but I wanted to make sure the finish really shined! Then I put all the hardware back on and I was finished!
I gotta say, I am super-happy with the results! I got some of my other flea market finds and used them to decorate. I didn’t have anything that would work for underneath and around it though. I guess it’s back to the flea market I go! 🙂
I hope you enjoyed this sideboard makeover! Let me know what you think or if you have any questions in the comments section below!